Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Closed
Total posts in this thread: 196
Posts: 196   Pages: 20   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 945546 times and has 195 replies Next Thread
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Hardware Recovery Update

well - there is optics and politics and there is reality.
I try to minimize it - but I get "reminded" that UHN needs to be mentioned.
Foremost - WCG is a volunteer platform, transforming open science through global collaboration, citizen engagement and youth outreach. My goal is to push that more (even if we cannot remove the other; at least not now).

Thank you Dr. Jurisica.
I believe many of us recognize that if Krembil had not taken over WCG, it may well have just ceased to exist. Now that you have it, the question becomes how to nourish it so it can flourish. I certainly do not have the public relations acumen to sell the ideas of cutting edge basic research to a community which sometimes sees only the potential for near term profits to the bottom line and not the larger picture of the gains in basic knowledge which open up entirely new vistas for much longer term gains.
Might I suggest finding a really good salesman who would be able to articulate an overarching vision for how the benefits of this research will play out in future years. Finding the right person(s) to do this may break a bit of the logjam for future funding sources. A professional grant writer might also be the ticket. A retired one who might donate their time is a possibility.
Good luck.
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Mar 16, 2023 12:54:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Tomahawk4196
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

All:

Dr. Jurisica is very gracious and diplomatic, but he is being too subtle about the real problem: The most important truth is that WCG needs money - now, and all of us can help - now.

There is a donation page, here:

https://support.uhnfoundation.ca/site/Donatio...p;set.SingleDesignee=2001

Please make sure that "Direct my gift to:" is set to World Community Grid, and give whatever you can - I gave $50 last week, but if 1,000 crunchers give just $5 each, many problems get solved, VERY quickly.

One issue with the donation page is that it's set up for a minimum donation of $50, which is too high. Currently, you have to pick the "Other" amount, then type in $5 or $10 .... so please do that, right now.

The other problems with the UHN donation page are that it doesn't take digital forms of payment (PayPal, Venmo, etc), and it doesn't offer a recurring monthly donation.

The UHN Donation page doesn't have these things because we are all too polite, too subtle, too quiet - we have to make more noise , so PLEASE: email the UHN Foundation people directly at foundation@uhn.ca , to politely ask that they add those three features: Smaller donation amounts, recurring donations, and digital payment methods.

Contact your crunching teammates, any crunchers you know, and ask all of them to donate whatever cash they can spare - tonight, tomorrow, over the weekend, so Dr. J. can make the necessary repairs ASAP.

Once the immediate funding pressure subsides, he and his team have will more time to find a grant writer or business developer, or engage someone who can build and publicize a Kickstarter fund, or any of the dozens of other good suggestions that we have all offered.

First, tho, they need a small pile of cash - PLEASE help them get that, over the next 5 days, so these hardware issues can be fixed properly.

Thank you all !

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tomahawk4196 at Mar 16, 2023 1:54:24 AM]
[Mar 16, 2023 1:52:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jurisica
World Community Grid Admin, Mapping Cancer Markers and Help Conquer Cancer Scientist
Project Badges:

Thank you Sgt Joe - I have been reasonably successful getting funding for our research in the past. Expanding this for funding for the Grid, especially in the current environment, is more challenging than I anticipated in 2021. but I am definitely not giving up; and I am opened for any suggestions, help and connection volunteers can help us with. WCG is too great of a resource not to try all possible options to save it

We already have several volunteers, partners and ambassadors helping us with the connections, experience and advice; but the whole TEAM of us will have even better chance to succeed. It is the community aspect that makes the Grid so special.

As we did highlight in the newsletter - it is the amazing support from Distributive that made us "survive" 2022. If a relatively young company can do so much for WCG - I hope that one of the banks, oil companies or any other much wealthier organizations would realize that little support gets multiplied and helps us together solve the most pressing problems humanity faces.
[Mar 16, 2023 2:07:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jurisica
World Community Grid Admin, Mapping Cancer Markers and Help Conquer Cancer Scientist
Project Badges:

Thank you Tomahawk4196 for your support and donation - there are many way of support - but it is true - that direct donations to WCG will help us survive and hopefully expand faster.

There is a strong benefit to the foundation (from crowdsourcing - they do not take overhead) - but - they are also a bit less flexible, unfortunately.

there are ways for US donors to get tax credit - but at the moment it is quite cumbersome (manual process).
There is a possibility to setup monthly donations - but as bizarre as it may sound - that page is generic and the only option for donation to the Grid is to select other and type World Community Grid - possible - but - we are push9ing foundation to make a change for direct, easy selection - so not typos or other issue can redirect these highly appreciated donation to other causes. Thus - for now we only used the direct donation - and it is true that the donors should select other to chose the donation level that is appropriate.

thank you so much.

sincerely
igor
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jurisica at Mar 16, 2023 2:28:51 AM]
[Mar 16, 2023 2:24:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ThreadRipper
Veteran Cruncher
Sweden
Project Badges:

[...] I am definitely not giving up; and I am opened for any suggestions, help and connection volunteers can help us with. WCG is too great of a resource not to try all possible options to save it

Hi Dr. Jurisica and All,

I have a suggestion
Find a student, some in-house or WCG contributor here with good graphics skills and create merch. For instance, using a service like RedBubble.com, you only have to supply the disgns and then you can place them on lots of things like tea cups, T-shirts, Acrylic blocks, notepads/books, stickers, pillowcases, post cards and a whole lot more.

Pros:
You don't have to deal with shipping, customer orders and all that - it is taken care of by RedBubble.

You set the price that you want for each item and then RedBubble adds their costs and profit for each item on top.

Many people would apprecite getting something nice while you are also getting something.

For instance, I would LOVE to collect my badges in acrylic blocks - how nice would that be?! Very nice. Once you reach a new badge, you can celebrate buy buing an acrylic block (and/or a tea cup, some stickers etc) with that badge and everyone benefits!

And not only badges of course. What if the, via WCG crunching, discovered promising chemical compounds would end up on T-shirts etc. That'd be awesome.

I believe you could easily make $25 per acryclic block for instance.

Another pro is that you spread the word this way as well via the items. A cruncher's friend comes over and sees a shirt like that, acrylic blocks on a shelf, gets a WCG inspired Christmas or birthday card and asks what that is - and a new pathway of communicating WCG has been created.

Also RedBubble ships internationally, so contributors from around the globe can contribute - just like on WCG (when servers are working, sorry for the pun :) )

CONS:
Someone has to put some time into getting it actually done and maintained with new designs as projects, compounds and ideas are created, But I am sure there must be someone in this community who can help out that knows computer graphics / Adobe Illustrator or whatever is needed?

I'm just saying that it would probably draw more attention and willingness to donate via shopping nice things - supporting WCG and getting something nice at the same time. And on Twitter and other channels you would mention when new designs and items are available so people will know when to check new stuff out.

Join The International Team: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=CK9RP1BKX1

AMD TR2990WX @ PBO, 64GB Quad 3200MHz 14-17-17-17-1T, RX6900XT @ Stock
AMD 3800X @ PBO
AMD 2700X @ 4GHz
[Mar 16, 2023 4:09:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jean-David Beyer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Dr. Jurisica is very gracious and diplomatic, but he is being too subtle about the real problem: The most important truth is that WCG needs money - now, and all of us can help - now.

OK: I did that.

I do not see how to make that tax-deductible in USA.

[Mar 16, 2023 4:12:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bfmorse
Senior Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

I sent an email to support asking Dr Jurisaca that exact question, provided additional details and requesting guidance.

I look forward to his response.
[Mar 16, 2023 7:15:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Yavanius
Senior Cruncher
Antarctica
Project Badges:

OK: I did that.

Short-answer:
You can't get a tax deduction to a foreign organization no matter how wonderful they are.

Long-answer:
Well, abbreviated anyways... The organization would have to have a physical presence in the U.S. (or vice versa for Canadian folks). Then there are a bunch of legal requirements to follow to get setup up as a non-profit. The best thing was in somebody could pro-bono helping them setup a presence in the U.S. It might be as simple as setting up a data center stateside (which actually would be good as a backup center), but they'll need someone experienced in doing that kind of work. And part of that is funds. You can't just setup a location in someone's garage, so that means either purchasing or leasing a location. They also have to decide if they want to pay more for a place that is near ready for their needs or do they want to go a cheaper route and build the infrastructure...
[Mar 16, 2023 10:09:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Short-answer: You can't get a tax deduction to a foreign organization no matter how wonderful they are.

Sometimes we donate for reasons other than getting a tax deduction. Just because we think it fosters a necessary good.

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Mar 16, 2023 10:20:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Tomahawk4196
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

(((( Please don't let the difficulty of getting a tax deduction for your $5 or $10 donation stop you from making the donation .... please. ))))) smile

[Mar 16, 2023 10:21:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 196   Pages: 20   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread