Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 46
Posts: 46   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1606 times and has 45 replies Next Thread
JSYKES
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: No new tasks in quite a while

After three days of trying, I have finally got a handful of WU's for processing, but the distribution seems to be a bit 'hit'n'miss' with one machine having a full complement in the pipeline, while others only have enough to fill the number of cores available........ Can some continuity on WU issue be established when units are called for???
----------------------------------------

[Mar 20, 2024 4:05:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dacker
Cruncher

See https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg...d,45375_offset,120#695306 for more information.

If you want information about the project, some searching in the forums is expected. There is no status page or central 'Official news only' thread.

I did some searching -- that's how I landed on this thread!

It is unfortunate there is no "Official News" channel for project communications. I was on SETI@home for 20+ years and got used to proactive communications when there was an issue which would cause a slowdown or stoppage of WUs. At the very least issues could be posted in BOINC Manager's "Notices" tab. It's a lot more efficient and contributor-friendly to proactively post once than to have thousands wondering what's going on and having to search for answers on their own, right?
[Mar 20, 2024 7:27:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Meadmaker
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I have received no work on my two machines since March 14th. I was very concerned that it was "my fault" but I am relieved to know it isn't. I'm guessing its just a waiting game now. At least I have other projects to wok on.
[Mar 26, 2024 4:06:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I have received no work on my two machines since March 14th. I was very concerned that it was "my fault" but I am relieved to know it isn't. I'm guessing its just a waiting game now. At least I have other projects to wok on.

Work for MCM has, at best, been sporadic. My Windows machine has been getting dribs and drabs of units and one Linux machine got some, but the other two Linux machines have struck out. So, I have been running Denis@Home since they have some work units for the time being.

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Mar 26, 2024 7:35:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Brummig
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Up until the end of February 2024 I've only been receiving MCM work units, all the other sub-projects I'm subscribed to having dried up after Krembil took over.

Since then I've received no work units at all (on a Windows host). Yesterday I fired up a currently dormant Linux host, and after hitting the update button several times two MCM work units sneaked in after I had given up and switched my attention to the "No New Tasks" button.

On the Windows host I have tried resetting the project several times, but whilst it continues to crunch for Asteroids and Einstein, all it gets with WCG is "Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks".

I've seen the posts elsewhere on the forum saying there is yet another massive problem with WCG, but that maybe it's been fixed. Hard to tell, given the lack of communication from Krembil.

What with this, the months-long dry period immediately after Krembil took over, and the complete lack of work units from sub-projects other than MCM, I'm minded just to give up on WCG. But before I do, is there anyway to check the availability of work units (as is so easily and obviously achieved on other BOINC projects), just in case the problem is with my host?
[Mar 27, 2024 12:40:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bryn Mawr
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

What with this, the months-long dry period immediately after Krembil took over, and the complete lack of work units from sub-projects other than MCM, I'm minded just to give up on WCG. But before I do, is there anyway to check the availability of work units (as is so easily and obviously achieved on other BOINC projects), just in case the problem is with my host?

No way to find the current outstanding WUs ready to send but you can find how many are being sent out each day which gives you a very good idea :-

Community > Global > Global Statistics History
[Mar 27, 2024 1:07:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MJH333
Senior Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

is there anyway to check the availability of work units (as is so easily and obviously achieved on other BOINC projects), just in case the problem is with my host?
As an alternative to Bryn Mawr's suggestion, you could go to the "Recent Threads" page on the Forums and look for the latest thread entitled "Project Status (First Post Updated)", which is currently this one.

This thread was created by one of the crunchers here, Unixchick, with assistance from Headcrash and others.

The figures in the table in the first post are based on figures from WUProp, so show only a fraction of the actual WUs. But this is the nearest approximation we have to a real-time server status page, given that WCG doesn't have one.

When MCM is running well, the "Number of workunits the last 24 hours" figure for MCM tends to be about 80,000. As I write this, it is around 20,000, so the system is clearly not operating at anywhere near full capacity.

And when there are problems, you will usually find them being discussed in that thread.

Note that Unixchick has to create a new "Project Status (First Post Updated)" thread from time to time. This is because Unixchick edits the first post regularly, but there is a limit on the number of times a post can be edited. So, once that limit has been reached, Unixchick creates a new "Project Status (First Post Updated)" thread. That is why I suggest navigating to that thread via the Recent Threads page rather than, e.g., bookmarking the current version of that thread.

Cheers,
Mark
[Edit 1 times, last edit by MJH333 at Mar 27, 2024 1:26:06 PM]
[Mar 27, 2024 1:24:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

I've seen the posts elsewhere on the forum saying there is yet another massive problem with WCG, but that maybe it's been fixed.
There was a problem with the MCM1-assimilators. This has been fixed in the past weeks. It took a lot of catching up and several other problems (see a.o. thread 46541 and post 695307).

I'm minded just to give up on WCG. But before I do, is there anyway to check the availability of work units (as is so easily and obviously achieved on other BOINC projects), just in case the problem is with my host?
As Mark already noted, there is a thread "Project Status (First Post Updated)" that you should follow to keep yourself informed. There is an hourly summary of what has been distributed (using a scope of 10,000 workunits) here: my latest downloaded general task, giving you an impression of the speed of distributing workunits by the server. And, as Bryn Mawr mentioned, there is the daily summary of results that have been returned.

Adri
[Mar 27, 2024 1:34:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Brummig
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thank you. So there are Windows work units available, but I'm still not getting any of them. I vaguely remember this happening before, and someone at Krembil had to do something. IIRC the problem was geographic, with people in the US getting work units, whilst people in Europe got few if any.

My unassimilated work units disappeared several days ago; I waited for that before posting.

Anyhow, I just signed up with DENIS, and immediately got my first work unit from them.
[Mar 27, 2024 6:20:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dagamier
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I am on both a Mac and on a Windows machine and I have not received work units in several weeks. Is there some sort of issue? I'm setup to automatically join anything new that pops up, but so far, nothing.
[Mar 27, 2024 6:39:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 46   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread