Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 46
Posts: 46   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1607 times and has 45 replies Next Thread
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: No new tasks in quite a while

At this time my Windows system has a full queue of 20. My Linux systems have a queue a big fat zero. MCM only. No GPU's

Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Apr 6, 2024 12:09:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

I get the few MCM task my 8 threaded Windows computer need (I only run 4 threads, and only the WCG project) On top of that I ask for 6 more MCM tasks to keep in the cache. So far, it has never gone completely dry. OPNG on the other hand, seems as rare as hen's teeth now. I haven't seen more than 4 OPNG tasks the last 24 hours.

[Apr 6, 2024 12:27:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AlmightyMoe
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Never knew WU were assigned by platform or platform dependent. Interesting. Disheartening as I only use linux for efficiency reasons, but interesting at least.
See this thread.
Cheers,
Mark

Thanks. This talks about verifying WUs from the same OS. It doesn't mention anything as far as I read that WUs are assigned to specific OSs to start.

Is there a thread that goes deeper on this?

[Apr 10, 2024 5:09:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

AlmightyMoe asked if tasks/WUs are assigned to specific OSs to start and if there is a thread that goes deeper on this.

knreed, former World Community Grid Tech, wrote something about this in post 450495:
On the server, there is a daemon called the 'feeder' which loads more tasks into a shared memory segment every second. The shared memory segment can store up to 1000 tasks. When the scheduler receives a request from a client to fetch new tasks to work on, the scheduler only looks at this shared memory segment for tasks that it considers for sending. This is done because at any given time there are up to 1 million tasks available to send for a project. If the scheduler hit the database directly to search for tasks to send on each request, then the load on the database would be overwhelming.

The shared memory is divided into 'slots' that are allocated to the different projects that we have active. Only a task for that project can be assigned to a specific slot.
Note the difference between tasks and WUs (workunits). A workunit can consist of several tasks. A client will receive tasks, not workunits. A task can consist of one or more jobs, especially in the case of the GPU-app 'OPNG'.

knreed continues:
There are certain times each day when the slots for a given project in the shared memory segment becomes "full" of tasks that are designated for a particular platform (Linux or Windows). These usually only last a few minutes or seconds, but can sometimes last up to 30 minutes.

If for example, you are running Linux and the slots assigned to MCM1 are full of tasks that are already assigned to Windows, then the server will treat it as no work is available for MCM1 for you. (This is what triggers the 'tasks are assigned to another platform' message). If you have the 'send other' work flag checked, it will then look for other projects to send you work from.

Also, SekeRob wrote in post 548494: "There's no such thing as pre-assignment of work blocks to a platform". Other interesting reads are SekeRob's post 526575: "Rule of thumb... keep your Minimum Buffer to -less- than half of the shortest deadline and keep the MaxAB [Max Additional workBuffer] to zero.", post 548523: "Principally, task A or B or C does not get pre-assigned to a platform" and "Key is to NOT use the MaxAB function. Just MinB, for that forces connection to keep the buffer up."

Adri
[Apr 10, 2024 11:24:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Never knew WU were assigned by platform or platform dependent. Interesting. Disheartening as I only use linux for efficiency reasons, but interesting at least.
See this thread.
Cheers,
Mark

Thanks. This talks about verifying WUs from the same OS. It doesn't mention anything as far as I read that WUs are assigned to specific OSs to start.

Is there a thread that goes deeper on this?

If "Homogeneous redundancy" (HR) is used for an application, the HR class for a specific WU is not set until the first task for that WU has been allocated to a host.

It is possible to create jobs intended for a specific HR class, but I don't think WCG runs like that...

If you are interested, you might look at Homogeneous Redundancy documentation; relevant pages at the original BOINC Wiki or the newer BOINC WIki at GitHub

Cheers - Al.

P.S. I see Adri was composing an answer at the same time I was :-) -- interesting bit of in-depth work there!...

[Edited to add the postscript!]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by alanb1951 at Apr 10, 2024 11:30:19 AM]
[Apr 10, 2024 11:26:27 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gibbcorp
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Not sure if this is the right place to post but i will anyway. I have a Mac Mini that has been getting hardly any work for a couple of months now. It used to be doing 70k points per day and now does about 5000. Most of the time it is waiting for tasks. Is this going to change? If not I might sell it. thanks
[May 5, 2024 7:58:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

What WCG projects are you subscribed to in your profile?

These days it seems to be all MCM1 and my queues are filled for the day. But mine are not a Mac mini. Don't know what they can do. My profiles allow all projects.
[May 5, 2024 2:18:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gibbcorp
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

I'm subscribed to all of them.
[May 6, 2024 8:40:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Not sure if this is the right place to post but i will anyway. I have a Mac Mini that has been getting hardly any work for a couple of months now. It used to be doing 70k points per day and now does about 5000. Most of the time it is waiting for tasks. Is this going to change? If not I might sell it. thanks
Have one older MacBook Pro running with macOS and that has not missed a beat once the basic project issues had been resolved, don't think that it ever even got close to running even low on WUs.

Ralf

[May 6, 2024 11:00:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Between when it was doing 70k points per day and now doing about 5000, has anything changed? What is the work that it does get now. I'm just asking questions to get the thinking going. I have no hunch.
[May 6, 2024 11:59:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 46   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread