Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 46
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1610 times and has 45 replies Next Thread
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: No new tasks in quite a while

Between when it was doing 70k points per day and now doing about 5000, has anything changed? What is the work that it does get now. I'm just asking questions to get the thinking going. I have no hunch.

This sounds like he was at some point crunching a lot of OPNG WUs, which will lead to a lot of points compared to "regular" CPU tasks. And those GPU tasks are indeed hard to come by. I usually get (with usually 7 "eligible" GPU hosts running) on some days just a couple of OPNG WUs, on one of the hosts, and on some days, it might be a bit over 100, then possibly spread of two hosts, rarely 3 or even more at the same time...

Guess that hit or miss supply of OPNG is just anther side effect of that "competition", which not only causes some schools to hoard a lot of those specific WUs, but some of the regular p***tw****s too, which seem to be eager to use any trick in the book to get a huge share of those as well...

Ralf
----------------------------------------

[May 8, 2024 6:55:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

But according to him the machine "Most of the time it is waiting for tasks". I can understand the difference in points because of the tasks but it should not be waiting. There is stuff there. All my machine have full queues of MCM1.

I once asked about queue size and from the responses I got I am not one of those hoarders. About 2.25 days using both settings. And I'm not implying you are saying this. It's the size that was recommended.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by BobbyB at May 9, 2024 4:54:10 AM]
[May 9, 2024 2:31:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gibbcorp
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

I seem to have fixed it. I changed the cached work from 3 to 5 days and it seems to be working now. Thank you
[May 9, 2024 5:27:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Good to know. Does it really go through that many tasks that you need 5 days? What are the specs in that Mac mini?

So not on sale right? biggrin

Just for my curiosity how long does it take to process 1 MCM1 WU.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BobbyB at May 9, 2024 2:59:33 PM]
[May 9, 2024 2:56:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Looks like the work unit shortage has reared its ugly head once again. both of my Linux machines have gone dry and my Windows machine is down to 50% queue.

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[May 9, 2024 7:43:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Just out of curiosity, how do you count them other than Boincmgr Tasks and count by hand on the screen.

OK forget it. I thought about for a while and ==> boinccmd --host n.n.n.n --get_tasks and some sort of grep
[Edit 2 times, last edit by BobbyB at May 9, 2024 9:03:17 PM]
[May 9, 2024 8:55:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread