Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 195
Posts: 195   Pages: 20   [ Previous Page | 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 135901 times and has 194 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: GPU Support: Post Your Problems/Questions Here

Hello GeraldRube,
We are only running short Beta tests. Maybe we will run some more this week. You have to check your WCG preferences to receive GPU work and even then you may not get a Beta unit.

Lawrence
[Mar 26, 2012 11:32:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikey
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks everyone. I will wait and see what happens with GPUs. If my system does not have a usable GPU, should BOINC say "no usable GPUs found"?

They might be able to do under the WCG part but not under the Boinc in general part because a gpu might not work here at WCG but might still work at another Boinc project. So a line that says 'your gpu is not capable for use at WCG' or something like that would be better, IMO. For instance at the top of the messages log I have a line that says "3/14/2012 3:19:02 AM | | ATI GPU 0: ATI Radeon HD 5700 series (Juniper) (CAL version 1.4.1664, 1024MB, 1400 GFLOPS peak)"
right below is another line that says
"3/14/2012 3:19:02 AM | | ATI GPU 1: ATI Radeon HD 5700 series (Juniper) (CAL version 1.4.1664, 1024MB, 1400 GFLOPS peak)"

As you can see neither of those lines mention a project, whereas this line
"3/26/2012 8:55:21 AM | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2" does mention WCG. IMO putting 'no work for gpu found' on the same line as WCG would tell people it won't work for WCG but not whether it will work or not at other projects.
----------------------------------------

[Mar 26, 2012 1:49:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There's no GPU app.plan feeder active, so right now for production, if a client asks for GPU work, it *was?* backed off for 14 days. Don't know where to look but the counter value will be stored somewhere. Curious if that still is set or not.

Beta does not give messages anyhow... the feeder is silently visited [when activated]. If there is GPU work and the client is capable it will be fed.

If there is a GPU capable card in the system, the Activity menu is expanded with 3 more options between the CPU and Network settings. No need to dig through the message log.

And of course, some messages or generated by the client and a bunch are made more meaningful in the development client... things will improve but saying "I want this or that" when we haven't even activated is a but premature.

--//--
[Mar 26, 2012 2:41:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There's no GPU app.plan feeder active, so right now for production, if a client asks for GPU work, it *was?* backed off for 14 days. Don't know where to look but the counter value will be stored somewhere. Curious if that still is set or not
While I was hopelessly requesting Beta GPU work for my incompatible GTS250, the Project Properties tab (BOINC 6.10.58) would show an increasing figure against "NVIDIA GPU work fetch deferral". It started at 1 min, then after the next failed request it was 2 min, then 4 min, etc. I didn't hang around to see what it ended up as.
[Mar 26, 2012 2:51:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

There's no GPU app.plan feeder active, so right now for production, if a client asks for GPU work, it *was?* backed off for 14 days. Don't know where to look but the counter value will be stored somewhere. Curious if that still is set or not.
I am getting in the BOINC Event Log something like:
Reporting 2 completed tasks, requesting new tasks for NVIDIA GPU
at least once a day now that I have installed BOINC 6.12.34 (x64). But when I had 7.0.21 installed, it only showed once, right after installation, so maybe it did back off there. And maybe the official 6.10.58 version is different?
[Mar 26, 2012 3:06:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Think that if work of the kind is returned, the backoff counter is reset, not sure like so many things particular with the server 700 vector having been added. FTM, I just would not expect anything to be written in stone how it works now, tomorrow or in a few weeks... to include client messages.

--//--
[Mar 26, 2012 3:11:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GeraldRube
Master Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Hello GeraldRube,
We are only running short Beta tests. Maybe we will run some more this week. You have to check your WCG preferences to receive GPU work and even then you may not get a Beta unit.

Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence smile

[Mar 26, 2012 4:15:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Think that if work of the kind is returned, the backoff counter is reset, not sure like so many things particular with the server 700 vector having been added. FTM, I just would not expect anything to be written in stone how it works now, tomorrow or in a few weeks... to include client messages.
I should have mentioned that I only returned CPU tasks, since I haven't gotten any GPU betas yet (and don't run any BOINC projects other than WCG). But there does seem to be a difference in the different BOINC versions. I never paid any attention to their GPU fixes before, but I know there were a lot of changes with each new version, along with whatever they are doing on the server. It is a moving target.
[Mar 26, 2012 4:30:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Hi Gerald

I've just joined in this GPU Malarkey. I'm running GPUGrid flat out

However the Beta's from WCG (last time out anyway) have a really short return time

As a result they kick out the GPUGrid WU's as they have a higher urgency biggrin and take over your PC's GPU(s) until they run out.

Which for me, like you, with a great affection for WCG....is ideal.

(I joined the moonlighting wink MOT team over there too biggrin)

Dave

[Mar 26, 2012 10:06:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Just a quick question or two: Are the GPU WU's able to be crunched on linux (Running ubuntu) and if so where can I get the drivers?
[Mar 27, 2012 6:51:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 195   Pages: 20   [ Previous Page | 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread