Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 45
Posts: 45   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7409 times and has 44 replies Next Thread
wolfman1360
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: BOINC running incredibly slow on my S7

S8's will throttle down if they are not cooled. I use a laptop cooler with a thermometer: Thermaltake Massive TM. I cool 3 S8's and an S7. The four thermometers read a case temp of 65 to 70 degrees F at 100% CPU and 100% RAM 24/7 ambient temp < 75 F.

Looking at CPU system monitor I see CPU usage drops down below 30%. Stopping the boinc app from applications and restarting it fixes the issue. Clock speeds don't seem to be effected for me when optimal usage at 100% however I only have ram set to 80%. Also ambient temp is around 70 if not a little cooler.
Is quick charging effected by boinc? That is to say if 100% cpu will charging still be slower or is it smart enough to take more current from the wall socket to achieve maximum charging speed? Or am I thinking of oneplus phones?
----------------------------------------
Crunching for the betterment of human kind and the canines who will always be our best friends.
AWOU!
[Oct 10, 2017 8:51:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
fufu
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I have the same problems with my Galaxy S7. When I change the perferences to 8 cores, CPU utilization in CPU-Z is ~40% and 2 cores are completely stopped. The elapsed workunit run time is extremly long, but without much CPU time. So I changed my preferences to 2 cores, instead. The WUs have normal run times now, but this couldn't be a solution. I would like to utilize all cores.

This doesn't seem to be a WCG problem. I just tested this with SETI WUs and I had the same result on my S7. I also had this problem on my old Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P and Nexus 5. One day after an update of the Boinc app, it worked on my Nexus 5. I suspect it has something to do with the Android version.
[Oct 24, 2017 12:53:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mel S Stark
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Do you cool your case i.e. a laptop cooler? The CPU will run hot very quickly and throttle down to prevent thermal damage at high loads. A laptop cooler fixed that issue for my S7's and S8's. WCG only offers 4 cores on my S7's. How can I get 8? I did something wrong somewhere.
[Oct 24, 2017 5:14:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mel S Stark
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I found that if I remove my phones from laptop cooler for not very long it will overheat again and require a reboot. I get around this problem by suspending all 8 cores until I'm ready to return it to the laptop cooler. DEscribe your cooling method? Does it have a metal mesh cooled by a fan which cools the metal?
[Oct 25, 2017 2:30:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mel S Stark
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I found that every time I lift my phone off my laptop cooler, it doesn't take long to overheat past the temperature threshold. I get around this issue by remembering to suspend BOINC while it is not being cooled and resume once it is back on the cooler. My laptop cooler has a metal mesh cooled by a fan from the bottom. Is your setup sufficient to produce that level of cooling. Note: If a reboot is required, ensure it is cool first.
[Oct 25, 2017 2:40:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
fufu
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hm, I don't cool it at all. But CPU-Z says that all thermal zones are under 45°C.

You might have the US version of the S7? Samsung put a Snapdragon quad-core CPU inside. In Europe they put the Exynos 8-core CPU in the device.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lieutenant Wurst at Oct 28, 2017 12:16:11 PM]
[Oct 26, 2017 8:54:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

I found that every time I lift my phone off my laptop cooler, it doesn't take long to overheat past the temperature threshold. I get around this issue by remembering to suspend BOINC while it is not being cooled and resume once it is back on the cooler. My laptop cooler has a metal mesh cooled by a fan from the bottom. Is your setup sufficient to produce that level of cooling. Note: If a reboot is required, ensure it is cool first.

On cooler(charging) = idle, picked up = used. That's the setting that could be activated in BOINC on your phone.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SekeRob* at Oct 26, 2017 9:10:55 AM]
[Oct 26, 2017 9:10:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wolfman1360
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Mine seems to happen when I plug the phone in after it is suspended on battery power. It fails to resume unless I go to settings, apps, boinc, force stop and then start again.
Very frustrating but is a workaround for now...
Crunching for the betterment of human kind and the canines who will always be our best friends.
AWOU!
[Oct 26, 2017 7:26:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Was just hoping there might be a fix for this

S6 all cores flat out as allowed by the heat it generates.. nice and toasty loads of result
S8 4 ARM A53 cores flat out - all 4 Exynos M1 running at lowest clock speed
battery life great but not as much research being done as I had hoped

Dave

[Nov 12, 2017 9:18:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vlado101
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I know this is an old thread, but seems to happen to my s8 plus as well. Some of the tasks that are only 6 hours on my LG4 runs for 12 to 25 hours on my S8+. Tried several steps listed here (restart, uninstall and re-install of boinc app), but seems to be the same.

If anyone has any new insights I would greatly appreciate it.

[Mar 11, 2018 7:56:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 45   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread