Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 144
Posts: 144   Pages: 15   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14575 times and has 143 replies Next Thread
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
2023-05-19 Update (workunit shortage)

Earlier in the week, we experienced a drought of work units across all projects, despite none of our back-end systems indicating that anything was wrong (and we had plenty of MCM1, SCC1, ARP WUs in the pipeline). On Tuesday, some MCM1 and SCC1 WUs were being distributed by our system, albeit at a much slower rate than usual.

We have taken measures to send out work in spite of the distribution issues. For MCM1 work units, there were 2.1 million MCM1 work units ready to be distributed, but only 7 work units were actually loaded and waiting to be sent. To increase this number, our bottleneck is in a “create-work” process which simultaneously creates new workunits and processes the existing ones so a healthy amount are is in circulation at any time. The create-work process is currently loading 100 work units into BOINC every 17-20 seconds, which we further reduced to 13 seconds using parallel threads.

We are also looking to load more SCC1 work units as they appear to be exceedingly rare currently. The distribution rate of ARP1 work units seem to be inconsistent and rare, so we are looking into the possible cause. The long period of pending validation for ARP1 work units was due to the ARP1 validator, which was taking longer to validate the high number of results returned. Using parallel threads, we reduced the time the validator takes and, accordingly, the pending validation time. OPN1 and OPNG are still not available, as the OPN team is conducting new research before sending us more (as stated in our May 2023 workunit update).

If you have any comments or questions, please leave them in this thread for us to answer. Thank you for your patience.

WCG team
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cyclops at May 19, 2023 2:56:04 PM]
[May 19, 2023 2:54:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:
Re: 2023-05-19 Update (workunit shortage)

Hi Cyclops,

Might I ask is something is being done about the faulty batch "SCC1_0004175_MyoD1-C"? It should be possible to have the techs stop this batch from being distributed by the server, or at least to prevent creation of new tasks from this faulty batch being added to the database, until the error (ATOM syntax incorrect: "62 " is not a valid atom number) has been resolved, either by the techs or by the project leaders.
(See also thread 45371.)

Thank you and good luck, smile
Adri
EDIT: corrected the URL, as the forum software didn't fully understand the URL.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by adriverhoef at May 19, 2023 3:45:53 PM]
[May 19, 2023 3:41:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher

Hi Cyclops,

Might I ask is something is being done about the faulty batch "SCC1_0004175_MyoD1-C"? It should be possible to have the techs stop this batch from being distributed by the server, or at least to prevent creation of new tasks from this faulty batch being added to the database, until the error (ATOM syntax incorrect: "62 " is not a valid atom number) has been resolved, either by the techs or by the project leaders.
(See also thread 45371.)

Adri

Hi Adri, thanks for sharing this with me, I will send this and several other volunteer reports to the team to investigate.
[May 19, 2023 3:53:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Maxxina
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

How many SCC1 units is out there ready to be send ? :)
[May 19, 2023 4:35:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Hi Cyclops,

(See also thread 45371.)

Adri

Hi Adri, thanks for sharing this with me, I will send this and several other volunteer reports to the team to investigate.
Now you are really kidding, aren't you? devilish

Seriously, this has been mentioned for almost a full (work) week and just now you send this to "investigate"? Really?

And then you wonder why people tell you in no uncertain terms what kind of a bad job you are doing and then you try to silence them by moderating posts for weeks? devilish

Ralf

[May 19, 2023 10:39:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Unixchick
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

The ARP WUs are validating faster! I'm not getting much in the way of new WUs (MCM, SCC or ARP).
[May 20, 2023 2:50:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
phillipspencer
Advanced Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

@ Cyclops
Thank you for the detailed update on WU distribution and also for the action on the SCC1_0004175_MyoD1-C problem.
I really appreciated a clearer idea on why WUs were not coming as expected.
[May 20, 2023 10:22:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dayle Diamond
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Will the main website be updated to reflect that OPN is now intermittent?

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/projects.s
[May 20, 2023 6:38:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher

Hi Cyclops,

(See also thread 45371.)

Adri

Now you are really kidding, aren't you? devilish

Seriously, this has been mentioned for almost a full (work) week and just now you send this to "investigate"? Really?

And then you wonder why people tell you in no uncertain terms what kind of a bad job you are doing and then you try to silence them by moderating posts for weeks? devilish

Ralf

Hi Ralf, your posts are not silenced, they are reviewed before appearing on the forum. This was a direct consequence of multiple violations of the forum's guidelines.
[May 20, 2023 8:09:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 144   Pages: 15   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread