Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 144
Posts: 144   Pages: 15   [ Previous Page | 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14579 times and has 143 replies Next Thread
Boca Raton Community HS
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: 2023-05-19 Update (workunit shortage)

Back on 12th September Sgt. Joe posted in another forum about shutting down Linux rigs because they were running dry[*1]. I think some of the other users posting about lack of work also have Linux rigs, but can't be sure.

I wonder if the "common ground" wasn't BOINC version or O/S but the nature of the requests being made? Smaller systems with smaller queues (and/or WCG device profiles limiting concurrent tasks) will probably ask for fewer tasks (and more often); the pattern of work distribution seemed to suggest precedence being given to users with smaller requests, and I believe that's a possible configuration option :-) -- it would be a fairly brutal way of trying to stop a few users snatching up far more work than they could process, but it would also impinge on more normal users who happen to have lots of cores or [say] a three day queue.

Just a thought...

Cheers - Al.

[*1] A subsequent post elsewhere suggests that he'd turned those rigs back on and they were getting better work flow.

Thank you for the link to this post- I missed that posting. Good to know. I think you are right- smaller hosts with fewer/smaller requests seem to keep a queue. The first system I started to see this problem in was the 64 core Threadripper Pro, then the other, lower core count Threadrippers Pros, then the "older" Xeon systems. I would suggest that there is a direct correlation to core count and queues that are not staying full (maybe this was obvious to some, but I am starting to see my own evidence for this on our systems). I think my next question is- was this a purposeful change or something is not working correctly on the server side? In this case, I hope something is not working correctly.
[Sep 16, 2023 12:01:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Just for the record I am a proponent of fairly short queues - 1,5 to 2 days. These seem more than adequate except for the times when the whole system goes down. Right now I am running two 8 thread machines, one 24 thread machine and one 32 thread machine. When the work becomes scarce I have no problem shutting down and waiting for work to be available. I do have a backup project, but that does not always have work either. While I enjoy having uninterrupted work, I don't stress out if it is not available.
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Sep 16, 2023 1:36:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike.Gibson
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

This may be a means of preventing the https problems on up/download although that problem was mostly caused by ARP which is currently not running.

Mike
[Sep 16, 2023 1:43:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
puurome
Cruncher
Project Badges:

It seems that we have WUs again. Thanks to the technical staff. ;-)
[Mar 11, 2024 2:38:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
giba
Veteran Cruncher
Brazil
Project Badges:

I just would like to share that in my opinion the frequent shortages in WCG are probably most a case of lack of projects working in WCG that just specifics issues observed in WCG strucuture or in the unique project runnig in by now (MCM).
We are very dependent from MCM tasks. it are happens for almost one year now, and don´t have any news wich improve our expectations for more projects or return of intermitent projects or projects not concluded yet.
I can´t saw any post from tech team about real new projects from kembril until now !
So we are with so much lack of confidence in Kembril managing WCG to get more things, like information that matter, tasks, new projects, Beta tests with new projects, return of intermitent projects, and so on. good luck
idea coffee peace
[Mar 12, 2024 1:02:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Robokapp
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

they promised new projects when they took over.

When's the last time a Beta WU was sent out? 2020?
[Mar 12, 2024 4:52:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gdlxn
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I've been getting very few work units, if any, on my four systems for over a week now. What's being done to address this? The lack of information sharing is really troublesome. crying crying crying
[Mar 14, 2024 5:41:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

I've only received MCM1 resends (11, _2 resends ) , since the last "new" task 2024-03-15, at 04:59:54 UTC. No "new" tasks at all since then.
It seems as if no "new" MCM1 tasks at all is being created now,

[Mar 15, 2024 10:37:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wildhagen
Senior Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Same here, getting only resends, no new work. And very few resends ar that...
[Mar 15, 2024 11:47:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

Same here, getting only resends, no new work. And very few resends ar that...
Finally, I just got one "New", created Mar. 15, 2024 - 10:32 UTC.

MCM1_0214545_7357_0

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Grumpy Swede at Mar 15, 2024 11:55:38 AM]
[Mar 15, 2024 11:54:27 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 144   Pages: 15   [ Previous Page | 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread