Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 144
Posts: 144   Pages: 15   [ Previous Page | 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14581 times and has 143 replies Next Thread
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: 2023-05-19 Update (workunit shortage)

Yup, full pot of MCM here, and I also got 25 OPNG tasks a short while ago.
----------------------------------------

[Apr 26, 2024 10:55:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
puurome
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Since this morning, my BOINC client doesn't receive any new Task from any project from World Community Grid.

Is this happening to you all as well?

Here's what my BOINC client says.
08/03/2024 12:08:08 | World Community Grid | No tasks sent
08/03/2024 12:08:08 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for OpenPandemics - COVID 19
08/03/2024 12:08:08 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Help Stop TB
08/03/2024 12:08:08 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Mapping Cancer Markers
08/03/2024 12:08:08 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Smash Childhood Cancer
[Mar 8, 2024 12:13:37 PM]
[May 8, 2024 6:18:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

puurome,

Given that the only person who knows what's happening on your system(s) is you, I'm not sure what anyone can say to help you beyond the observation that it appears that you are [more or less] alone in seeing this issue at present :-(

Cheers - Al.

P.S. Although the above post cites March 2024 data :-) there's also a post in the MCM1 forum which included a current cut/paste...
[May 8, 2024 7:27:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
puurome
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thank you alanb51.
In the past, the post you mentioned, I notified the community of a similar issue, but in that case the issue was solved in a few hours. Now the issue seems to represent itself as that time.

At the moment, I have other 2 projects running in my BOINC client without without any hiccups. Until yesterday, all the 3 projects ran smoothly together.

Please other people let me know if you are experiencing this WUs shortage as well.
Thank you very much.
[Edit 4 times, last edit by puurome at May 8, 2024 3:15:51 PM]
[May 8, 2024 3:07:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wildhagen
Senior Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

I am still getting enough workunits for MCM on all my machines (both resends and new wu's).
[May 8, 2024 3:52:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Boca Raton Community HS
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

We are also seeing plenty of work (MCM, specifically).
[May 8, 2024 4:09:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Yes, MCM1 is plentiful for some time now, but OPNG WUs have once again become rare as hen's teeth, between the 7 GPU capable hosts that I have running right now, they barely get a single digit number per day... sad

SCM1 work never materialized as mentioned by WCG Towers a few weeks ago, and ARP1 also seems to be a long way from having work available as well...

Ralf

[May 8, 2024 7:04:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Boca Raton Community HS
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Yes, MCM1 is plentiful for some time now, but OPNG WUs have once again become rare as hen's teeth, between the 7 GPU capable hosts that I have running right now, they barely get a single digit number per day... sad

SCM1 work never materialized as mentioned by WCG Towers a few weeks ago, and ARP1 also seems to be a long way from having work available as well...

Ralf

Agreed- our systems only see a few "sets" of OPNG per day. I am not sure if your post in a different thread was in reference to us, but I can promise that we never see enough OPNG to hoard them. We receive OPNG sporadically, process them immediately and return. We do have a small reserve of MCM1 right now but I think most people have received enough of these work units that their reserves are filled too. I could be wrong though!
[May 8, 2024 10:30:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Agreed- our systems only see a few "sets" of OPNG per day. I am not sure if your post in a different thread was in reference to us, but I can promise that we never see enough OPNG to hoard them.!
Nothing personal, you are just having your school in the user name and the competition that WCG Towers announced with great fanfare was supposed to be among schools (and students?). I can only see that you are making 3/4 of a million points per day, which means that you would have to run at least 200-250 hosts per day on plain MCM to get that many points. Otherwise, this is only possible with the help of a substantial number of OPNG WUs and the relative high "payout" for those.
It is just an open secret, if you dig in the OPN and GPU subforums, that those WUs are send out only at specific times of the day, and some some folks that are only interested in getting a return (in points/credits) as high as possible, try to game the system by scheduling BOINC agent requests to correspond with those times (and an increased cache size)... sad
And if you look at BOINC stats at those users which report a high 6 or 7 figure return each day, I am pretty sure that at least half of those are not falling into the school/student group...

Ralf

[May 9, 2024 3:56:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Boca Raton Community HS
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

It is true- I do not know how some users have so many points per day. For some perspective of how many we actually see and process, I looked over our results for the two previous days (which have seemed somewhat standard for work).

We process about 6,000 MCM1 tasks per day, based on the results page.
We process about 200 OPNG tasks per day, based on the results page.

This is shared between 13 GPUs across the systems so that would be around 10 to 20 OPNG tasks per day (per GPU). We complete OPNG tasks in about 1 to 3 minutes depending on the GPU/system. Right now, the GPUs are just idle when not running OPNG but we will probably start up work again at E@H.

We are fully transparent with our systems, what we process, and how we do what we do so don't hesitate to ask!
[May 9, 2024 4:39:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 144   Pages: 15   [ Previous Page | 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread